Announcements

Indie Snippets is currently closed to submissions.

Monday, June 27, 2011

From "The Werecat Chronicles" by Sally Bosco

The Werecat ChroniclesA strong feeling made me pull off the highway and down the main road of a tiny town that looked more like a ghost town than a living community.

Driving further down the street, I came to a motel right out of an Edward Hopper painting.  I pulled into one of many vacant parking spaces and walked into the office feeling like a zombie. The man behind the counter gave me a momentarily suspicious look. He probably thought I was awfully young to be traveling alone.  He was right.  But when I pulled a roll of money out of my backpack, he smiled, said, “Thank you, miss,” put the cash into his old-fashioned register, and handed me the key.  Room number three.

Predictably the room reeked of mildew. I looked around at the stained carpet, the corroded air conditioner, towels thin as slices of ginger and wondered.  Was this the place where I was going to die?  A cheap motel room?

I pulled back the bed covers and collapsed onto the sheets.  The clock radio said .  In ten minutes I’d be dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment