Announcements

Indie Snippets is currently closed to submissions.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

From "Red Mojo Mama" by Kathy Lynn Hall

Red Mojo MamaLydia "Red" Talbot has just seen her dead husband's ghost for the first time:

“Why now, Mac? Why didn’t you let me see you back then?”

“Honey, I’ve only got so much time and energy I can spend this way. I’ve been waiting for you to be ready.”

“It’s been so damn long.”

“Not to me, Red. We don’t experience time like you do. It’s gone very fast, felt like a few weeks…Anyway, now you’re ready for me to show up once in a while. You’ve moved on.”

“Really, well how come it doesn’t feel like it to me?”

“You have. You just don’t know it yet. But baby, we gotta do something this!”

He waved his arms around to include everything about me, and I knew he was referring to the colorless, shapeless outfit I was wearing, the lack of makeup, and the basic lack of caring about myself. I agreed with his assessment.

“I know, I know.”

“Whatever happened to those 5-inch red heels you use to trot around in? Now, that was mojo baby. Remember?”

No comments:

Post a Comment