Announcements

Indie Snippets is currently closed to submissions.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

From "Treespeaker" by Katie W. Stewart

TreespeakerA stranger visits the forest...

Megda’s eye’s opened wide, but before she could speak the other woman rushed forward and hugged her tightly, her leather shoes scuffling dust from the path.

 “Ah, Megda, my dear, at last. When I heard of poor Kattan’s passing, I knew I just had to come to see you, but I was ill myself and had to wait. I hope you’ll forgive me. I could just imagine you thinking ‘Why has Hekja not come to see me?’ Well, here I am at last. You don’t look any different than the last time I saw you, so many years ago.” She stood back, holding Megda’s arms, a sad smile on her face. “Are you not pleased to see me?”

Megda’s eyes were still wide and she laughed a little. “Yes. Yes, of course, it’s lovely to see you… Hekja. I’m sorry. This is just such a surprise.”

Dovan guessed from the slight furrow on Megda’s brow, that the surprise came not from the unexpected visit, but from the use of her name by a total stranger.

Grifad, however, was already sidling down the path and seemed oblivious to Megda’s bafflement. “Well, now that you’re here, I’ll take my leave.”

1 comment:

Kate said...

Thanks for this!

Post a Comment