Announcements

Indie Snippets is currently closed to submissions.

Friday, November 25, 2011

From "Greet the World" a story in "The Uncanny Valley" by Bryan R. Dennis


A disaffected employee has been informed that resignation is against company policy...

Taylor leapt to his feet. He paced the room, rubbing his hand over his mouth. After a moment he whirled and pointed defiantly at the counselor.

“What if I told you I don’t care about the rules? What if I told you that I’ve been pushed past the limit and to hell with the consequences? What then?”

“Is that what you’re telling me?”

After a moment’s hesitation, Taylor nodded.

The counselor clucked his tongue, produced a pen from his clipboard and scratched a note. His expression soured.

“What can management do?” Taylor challenged. “Fire me?”

“They don’t fire people.”

“Well, damn it, what if I just leave? What would happen if I simply walked right out the front door and went on my merry old way?” He stuffed his hands in his pockets and waited for a response.

After a delay the counselor set his pen down and folded his arms across his chest. “You can’t leave.”

“And why not?”

 
“You’d die.”

No comments:

Post a Comment