Announcements

Indie Snippets is currently closed to submissions.

Monday, July 4, 2011

From "The Judas Syndrome" by Mike Poeltl

The Judas SyndromeDays after the Apocalypse ravaged the earth, Joel finds Gil staring into the abyss behind their house...

 “Don’t know how much longer I can keep it together.” His voice was hollow. “I don’t know. The sadness, everyone’s sadness… I hear them, their cries in the night, the walls can’t contain it. I can’t listen to it anymore.” He began to jerk as emotion overwhelmed him and the tears came. “It can’t go on like this, Joel, I know I can’t.”


I joined him at the glass door and watched the darkness distort all that I loved, all that we were...  The sky was as the earth, muddied, wretched and dark. You could suffer a case of vertigo from staring for too long.

Standing there, remembering all that this view once offered- the beautiful vistas in the fall, the lush greens of the summer foliage, the crisp whites of winter snow- I realized that memory was all that remained of this place. In my mind’s eye I saw the sun come out and cleanly sweep over the trees and the lawn, the field and the pool; all that I knew were there, but could no longer see through the thick black rain falling hard from a bitter sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment