Announcements

Indie Snippets is currently closed to submissions.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

From "Black & White" by Nicki Lynn Justice

Black & White
Now, about that cat..."

     She sighed. "This is going to sound really silly."

     "No sillier than you just did."

     She ignored that comment. "It was a way of rating my relationships. If I liked the cat better than the guy, I'd dump the guy."

     "But you don't have a cat."

     "I have a good imagination."

     He nodded. "So how many imaginary cats did you get rid of?"

     "None," she replied.

     "Anyone ever ask you to get rid of the cat?" he quipped, to cover the curious feeling of pleasure her words evoked.

     "The last one would have. I got rid of him instead.

     "But you were going to get rid of the cat for me."

     She shrugged. "I was half in love, almost asleep, and had just been through the most incredible love-making experience of my life, so I may not have been thinking clearly."

     He preened. "I've been told that I'm pretty good."

     "Hah," she exclaimed. "They probably just felt sorry for you."

     He quirked an eyebrow at her, but didn't bother to reply. "I don't think anyone has ever said they were half in love with me," he said softly.

     "Don't count on it. It could go either way. The cat hasn't been dropped off at that nice home in the country yet."

No comments:

Post a Comment