Announcements

Indie Snippets is currently closed to submissions.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

From "Lodestone Book Two: The World of Ice and Stars" by Mark Whiteway

Lodestone Book Two: The World of Ice and StarsPatris explains Sakaran economics!

“You stole from them, didn’t you?” Keris interjected.

Patris frowned. “How did you know that?” She looked at him askance.

“All right, yes, I stole from them. I would have thought that any civilized society would appreciate basic economics.”

“Let me guess. They didn’t appreciate your actions.”

Patris huffed. “You’re right there. I tried to explain it to them, but it was hopeless. ‘Look’, I said, ‘I arrived here with nothing but the clothes I’m standing in. I have no money or whatever it is you people use for money. I have the same right to life as you do. So how am I going to live? Theft. Basic wealth redistribution. I told them straight, ‘You should be thanking me,’ I said. But it was like trying to lecture a bunch of ignorant children.” 

“Imagine that,” Keris said dryly.
                                                                                                
“Exactly. They summoned a pair of their watchmen–drach, they called them. Surly fellows. No sense of humour whatsoever. They threw me in some kind of jail. I’m not sure what they intended for me, but I don’t think it was anything good. So I let myself out and escaped.” 

“You stole the key.”

Patris shrugged. “Naturally.”

1 comment:

mountainmama said...

Great excerpt, Mark! I wish my TBR list was going faster - can't wait to read the rest!

Post a Comment