Announcements

Indie Snippets is currently closed to submissions.

Monday, September 12, 2011

From "The Foul Mouth and the Fanged Lady" by Richard Raley

The Foul Mouth and the Fanged Lady (The King Henry Tapes)“You are King Henry Price?”

Price.  My eyes went over her again searching for clues.  She knew my name.  Interesting.  Not here for teapots then.  The antique people don’t know about Price.  Made the smart part wake up a bit.  “I am…and who are you?”

“I’m Anne,” she told me.

Anne.  Simple name.  Never trust the one’s with simple names.  My gaze went to the large golden ‘B’ at her throat.  Annie B.  A name comes to mind straight out of history, but I didn’t say it.  With my name being King Henry I couldn’t say it.  If I said it then I’d know without a doubt that the Mancy was playing a practical joke on me.  “Brown?” I guessed.
“Not quite,” she said.
She was middling height for a woman, so not that much shorter than me.  With her heels we were about even as she got right against the register to study my face.  “I expected you to be handsome,” she complained.  “I suppose it doesn’t matter…but spending time with a handsome face is so much easier, don’t you think?  Handsome never ceases to remind me to enjoy my lot in life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment