Announcements

Indie Snippets is currently closed to submissions.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

From "An Error In Judgment" by Susan Schreyer

Thea Campbell is attending the annual awards banquet for the Puget Sound Dressage Society and has been called to the stage to receive an award when the presenter collapses...

The room erupted in a cacophony of shouts and gasps. I leaped forward, dropped to my knees, and with two efficient flicks, undid his tie. 

Footsteps pounded across the stage behind me. Sig's eyes fluttered open.

"Lay still. You'll be okay." As I fumbled with his collar buttons, his hands shot up, capturing both my wrists in a crushing grip. I yelped and tried to pull away, but he wouldn't let go. His eyes focused on mine, desperate, commanding.

"Hudson … Paul Hudson … tell him …." His voice was raw with pleading. Even as it failed him, his eyes continued to beg.

A woman, kneeling on the other side of Sig, undid his shirt button. "Try to stay calm, Mr. Paalmann. I'm a doctor. An ambulance is on the way."

I tugged against his grip, but his rigid fingers would not release me.
 
"Tell him," he repeated.

"Tell him what?" I glanced at the doctor, who met my gaze and shook her head.

With enormous effort Sig tried again. "Tell Hudson … Andrea … must understand … my name. It must have my name."

No comments:

Post a Comment