Announcements

Indie Snippets is currently closed to submissions.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

From "Five Easy Pieces" by Rebecca Stroud

Five Easy Pieces
John's wife of almost fifty years (Lydia) recently died and he's having a difficult time readjusting to life "alone"...

Since I still have to eat - although my appetite rivals that of a bird's - I also make it as far as the corner market where Lydia and I have been grocery shopping for decades. Sure, I could go to one of the big-box stores but why bother? Yeah, my brother told me I need to get out and mingle but I doubt Wal-Mart is the place to start a meaningful conversation. Say, how 'bout them tomatoes?

So, every Monday morning, I continue to buy my meager nutrient requirements at Bud's Bodega and hope like hell Bud doesn't want to 'engage' me in chit-chat. Of course, since Lydia and I have known him forever, neither can I be rude. This particular trip proves to be a test of my willingness to socialize.

"So, John, how are you this fine day?" Bud smiles like he's never smiled before.

I grunt and nod, "Okay, Bud. Thanks for asking." I head for the produce aisle to pretend I'm looking for that award-winning tomato. He follows me.

"Ya know, John, I've been thinking. Maybe you should get a dog."

Christ. A dog. Just what I need...

No comments:

Post a Comment