Announcements

Indie Snippets is currently closed to submissions.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

From "Atlantis" by Lisa Graves

AtlantisWhat would you do if you were convinced your boyfriend was a figment of your imagination?  That is Lilly’s problem...

My eyes looked at the ground. I didn’t want to, but I made myself say it. “You’re not real.”

“What do you mean, I’m not real?” Elliott asked. He gently placed his hand on mine. The usual sensation of electricity flowing through him to me, pricked my mind and made me doubt my hallucination theory. He wasn’t helping.

It was probably a combination of my emotions keeping me an inch from tears, and his penetrating eyes bearing down on my soul, but I had overflowed. I couldn’t stop the words from pouring out.

“YOU ARE NOT REAL!” I yelled, more at myself than at Elliott.

I stood up. His mouth gapped open at me as I paced the cove and continued.

“You are too perfect. And good looking. And sweet...”

He looked as though he was going to argue, but I went on.

“No one has seen you but me.”

He whispered something to himself and shook his head.

“You appear and disappear out of nowhere.”

I turned again at the edge of the cove, racking my brain for more proof of my theory. When I resumed my pacing, he spoke.

“I know,” he said and looked straight at me.

Elliott caught me off guard. I hadn’t expected my hallucination to agree with me. “What do you mean you know?"

No comments:

Post a Comment