Announcements

Indie Snippets is currently closed to submissions.

Monday, December 5, 2011

From "Charlinder's Walk" by Alyson Miers

Charlinder, a resident of the post-Plague village of Paleola, tells his uncle, Roy, about his plan to investigate the end of the previously known world...

 “I want to go to Italy,” he shared. Maybe it was the early hour, or the comfort of knowing what he needed to do.

Roy blinked, his face otherwise blank, his movement arrested. He looked the way Charlinder had felt when Robert had asked to speak to his students.

“To research the Plague where it started,” he explained before his uncle could ask.

“Right,” said Roy. “How are you going to get there?”

“I’m gonna walk.”

“You can’t walk across an ocean.”

“I mean, I’d go west. Then I’d just need a boat to get across the Bering Strait, and from there it’s all land.”

“Do you have any idea how long it would take just to get that far?”

“I know I’m looking at a long time, but it’ll be worth the trouble in the end.”

“When did you get this idea?”

“Last night, it came to me.”

“How about what you’d eat? Where you’d sleep? How you’d stay on course? What you’d wear in the cold? Did that come to you last night?”

“I’m working on all that.”

“Really.”

“Yes! This question needs an answer, and I’m gonna bring it home.”

No comments:

Post a Comment