Announcements

Indie Snippets is currently closed to submissions.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

From "Mom’s on the Roof and I Can’t Get Her Down" by Cynthia Meyers-Hanson

While mom was terminal, my aunt and I talked.  I revealed that my mother had a telephone call from her nurse, Inez.  Later, I discovered that phantom was her deceased mother.  In response to my disclosure, my aunt told me that her sister told my living grandfather that Fred Astaire was there, too!  My parents were once good dancers; my mother used to say that one of her criteria for choosing a mate was that he knew how to dance....  Now, unable to walk for over three months, a great but deceased dancer was visiting her bedside.  Did Inez call?  Did Fred Astaire visit?  These things were not as important as what they meant.  Mom would soon be dancing in the clouds with her mother and a great entertainer.
 
Then, I told my aunt about my weird dream!  Mom came through the kitchen passage.  I wanted to get Dad so he could see her walking- again. She shook her head, hugged me, and left; she was wearing her red nightgown.  .... On the day mom lost her battle with cancer, she was wearing that red gown.

No comments:

Post a Comment